Learn about digital media in London this summer!
An exciting opportunity to earn six graduate LIS credits while living in central London is being offered by the Florida State University School of Information. Two courses, focused on digital and social media, taught by Dr. Nancy Everhart from July 3 to July 24, 2015 at the FSU London Centre, will use this dynamic city and the surrounding areas as a backdrop for creating projects and determining their impact via social media management. Projects include podcasts, social networking sites, blogs, short films, infographics, digital photography and new media of your choice. No prior experience with these media is required. All classes will be field trip based. There are online requirements before and after the time in London.
Other pertinent information:
- The two courses are: LIS 5313 -Digital Media: Concepts and Production and LIS 5385 – Social Media Management. Participants must take both courses and they will be focused on application of digital media to libraries and other organizations and managing social media sites. Students will have the opportunity to apply course material to their current work situation if desired, or to build a professional portfolio.
- The FSU London Centre is housed in a 17th century building that FSU owns in the heart of 'literary London' and within walking distance to the shopping district and to the West End theater district. It is less that one block from the British Museum and a tube stop. Students are housed in flats at the Centre or in nearby Bloomsbury.
- Day trips to Oxford, and the Warner Brothers “Making of Harry Potter Studio Tour” in Leavesdon are included.
- Two theatre shows are included.
- Many field trips are tied to settings of children’s stories like Harry Potter, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, and Mary Poppins. Visits to famous landmarks including Westminster Abbey, the Tower of London, St. Paul’s Cathedral, the London Eye, Kensington Palace, Hyde and Regent’s Parks, the British Library and numerous museums form the backdrop for media projects.
- Cost is $5515 for both in-state and out-of-state participants. The fee includes all registration and instructional costs for 6 graduate credit hours; travel venues outside of London; all admissions to program social/cultural activities; welcome and farewell meals; breakfasts, health insurance; international student ID card; T-shirt; full-time academic and administrative support.
- Airfare, other meals, books and supplies are not included in the cost.
- Credits earned in this program may be later transferred into the master’s degree program at FSU for students who may be accepted at a future date. These offerings are regularly offered graduate courses.
- Extra time is budgeted for travel on your own.
- This program is open to media specialists and teachers who are interested in this exciting summer opportunity for professional development continuing education credits.
- If you can improve your current work skills through this coursework, the total cost of the program, along with your travel costs, are tax deductible.