Thursday, December 19, 2013

FAME Conference 2013

In November, I attended the annual conference of the Florida Association for Media in Education in Orlando.  As always, the FAME Conference was jam-packed with innovative ideas, trends, and best practices.  And as always, three days wasn't enough time to spend with my fellow school librarians sharing ideas, connecting with old friends and new, and celebrating awesome children's authors.

I was fortunate to present sessions with several friends this year.  For the fourth time, I was able to present ideas for promoting the Sunshine State Young Reader's Award program in our schools with fellow members of the SSYRA Committee.  These women have become such good friends, and I'm grateful to work with them on this awesome book award committee.

I also presented with my friend Raylee Fleisch, and elementary librarian from Pinellas County, and Michelle Jarrett, a middle school librarian from Osceola County.  Raylee and I went to the same middle school, and she had my dad as a math teacher!  We reconnected a few years ago at FAME, and both serve on SSYRA. We presented a session entitled Outwit-Outplay-Outlast: Surviving your first year (or two!) as a school librarian. We addressed topics that new librarians are often concerned with. Hopefully we were able to help the new librarians who attended our session.  After getting some feedback and doing some reflection, we have ideas for an even better Survivor session for next year's FAME Conference!


Michelle and I also did a session about how librarians use Twitter to build Professional Learning Networks (PLNs).  We "met" on Twitter months ago and planned our presentation electronically, but had never met in person until the day before our session at FAME.  We're a great example of how Twitter connects educators with similar interests across distance!

No comments:

Post a Comment