Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Choose This!

Woodville Elementary School has an amazing school librarian, but not an amazing book budget.

My friend Melissa Ingram is the school librarian at Woodville Elementary School in Tallahassee, FL. 81% of her students qualify for free or reduced lunch. She has a small budget to purchase books for the school library, and she would like to purchase copies of the Sunshine State Young Reader's Award books so that her students can participate in the statewide reading program.

Melissa is quite the go-getter, and has set up a project request on DonorsChoose.org to raise the funds to pay for the Sunshine State books so her students can vote for their favorite with the other elementary students in Florida.

I can't tell you how excited the students are to read these books and then vote for their favorite. Don't you want to be a part of that joy?

Please consider donating to her project.  Or better yet, go ahead and donate to her project


5 comments:

  1. Hi Jenn,

    My book, THE TROUBLE WITH HALF A MOON, made the SSYRA list. I'm overjoyed and so very grateful to have made such a list. I'd love to send a signed copy (along with signed bookmarks)to Melissa. What do you think?

    Danette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danette,
    What a nice idea! I know Melissa would LOVE that!! Thank you very much for offering to send her the book and bookmarks.

    I love The Trouble with Half a Moon, and was so happy it made the SSYRA list. I couldn't put it down when I read it. I'm on the committee, and we each read about 350 books last year in order to choose the 15 for the list. Your book is in great company - I think this year's list is exceptionally wonderful.

    Thank you!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for that, Jenn! Wow,350 books? Holey smoles!

    On my way out to the post office.

    Danette :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danette, Your autographed book and book marks arrived this afternoon and made my day! I can't wait to show it to my students and read your book! Thanks so much for thinking of me and my students.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, Melissa! I hope your students enjoy!

    Danette

    ReplyDelete