Friday, October 14, 2011

Summer Refreshment

At the end of last school year, I was standing in the middle of the library looking around, and I realized I was bored. Not with my job, but with the way the library looked. And I know that if I'm bored with something, the kids are definitely bored with it.

One of the challenges of a library in a K-12 school is creating an environment that makes everyone (from kindergarteners to seniors) feel welcome.  I try not to cute it up so much for the elementary kids that it turns away the high school students.  But I want it to be bright, colorful, warm, and fun, too.


So I decided to do a beach theme; I bought adirondack chairs for the book nook, and then decorated with kites, beach balls, shells, and fishing nets. One of our awesome high school art teachers printed a panoramic picture of the beach in the Bahamas to go in the book nook. Our awesome biology teacher loaned us some seashells and coral to complete the display.



I created a bulletin board for our principal to "hang 10" as the students earn AR points.  The kids love it!  Please notice the beautiful crests on these waves, made lovingly by my mother.

 
On another bulletin board, closer to the computers, I put up the names of the most frequently-used databases, and the instructions for logging in.








And of course we needed something beachy to hold the shelf markers!

Over the front doorway, I hung 10 beach balls from the ceiling.  I'll take a picture next week and post it.







Every librarian needs parents like mine who will spend a week helping me shop, design, assemble, and hang all these cool decorations. Poor Dad was on a ladder for three days straight hanging pictures, kites, beach balls, and this awesome Cat in the Hat with balloons.

End result of this little refresher: bye bye boredom!


1 comment:

  1. This is excellent! Please don't hesitate to contact me if you ever need material for a WWII diorama. I have quite an extensive collection of authentic and reproduction stuff to share.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete