Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Invisible Smelly Stickers



I so wish I had thought of this ingenious idea.  I have to give credit where it's due: my friend (and an amazing 1st grade teacher) Lauren Adams brought this idea to our school, where I quickly stole it and use it every day in the library.  Its invisible! It's smelly! (In a good way!) And it's a sticker!

The kids often ask me where I buy these invisible smelly stickers, and I always tell them that I buy them at the Invisible Smelly Sticker Factory. But I'll tell you a secret: I buy them at Target. And the Dollar Tree. And I get them from Santa.

I have the students put a hand on their head and I put a little dot of smelly sticker on it. They last a longgggg time, and they're about $1 a piece. Hello affordable!  I have accumulated many scents (as you can see), and when one dies that the kids really like, I'll replace it.

My experience is that a kid will do just about anything for an invisible smelly sticker. Kindergarteners will actually be quiet and pay attention for 30 minutes if they think they can be my Invisible Smelly Sticker HELPER.

I know that some of you reading this are thinking this is a great idea for elementary kids, but older students will think it's dumb. Think again! I have middle school and high school students who ask for a sticker, too.

Btw, today's "flavor" was chocolate. Big hit.

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea!!! I just found your blog today and have been reading through. I just started a library blog www.readersofthepride.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I need to do a better job of posting regularly. It's one of my goals for the new school year. I'll check out your blog! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY Cool! I love it. I am in my second year as a librarian at a k-12 school. we only have 250 students. I love my job! and blogs like this help the kids love it too.

    http://smalltownlibrarian4.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete